Friday, December 17, 2010

Snowy Anglesey

Finally we are under a white blanket! Last winter we had a serious fall of snow on one day only. It was Tuesday 5th January and I was due to come home from a short stay in hospital. The weather closed in and the hospital transport stopped running. I came home that day in my neighbour's 4 wheel drive!
Today we have about 6 inches and more is forecast. Tomorrow I am due to collect a consignment of Welsh lamb direct from the farmer. Our meeting place is Betws y Coed on the A5 trunk road where it meets the A470 which runs down to South Wales. The forecast is heavy snow overnight for Anglesey, Betws y Coed and Bala which is not far from the farm. It looks like we have a problem!
I have no doubt we shall get through OK in terms of food and warmth, so best not grumble. My logs for the multi fuel stove have a coating of snow and they are in a log shelter I built last year! It has obviously been windy during the night. All looks very pretty just now. But wait till the thaw arrives and snow becomes slush!
Tomorrow will see a cancelled market in Llangefni and folks will be battening down the hatches whilst talking about the snow as if they live in high mountains! Yesterdays satellite photo from Nasa showed the UK covered in snow except occasional tiny patches where it had not fallen. No doubt today's picture will be of complete snow coverage.
For now I shall have to ensure that there is food outside for the birds and continue reading my book purchased at a recent Christmas Fair at Amlwch Methodist Church. Tomorrow sees another birthday to remind me how I am getting old! We have guests for dinner and they, luckily, live just round the corner.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home