Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Cathedral Quest



Several days ago I received an email from Bev Anastasiou who lives on the island of Anghistri, twenty miles from Athens. In it she told me about a sponsored bike ride being undertaken by her 48 year old brother, Gary. The idea was to drum up some financial support for Gary who is cycling around England, Scotland & Wales, calling at every cathedral on the way. My wife and I know Bev because she and her husband Christos run a small hotel where we stay whenever we visit Anghistri. We have even named our house after the island.

Gary is doing the cycle ride to raise money for two quite different charities. The first is the restoration of Letton Church close to his home, and the second is Macmillan Cancer Support. Now by sheer coincidence I happen to be the Secretary of the Anglesey Macmillan Committee. Looking at Gary's itinerary, I noticed that he was due in Bangor, just over the Menai Strait on the mainland on Monday, 12th May. It occurred to me that I should meet Gary to say "Hello, my name is Keith from the Anglesey Macmillan Committee and I know your sister, Bev."

I contacted Eleri Brady, Fund Raising Manager for North Wales for Macmillan to tell her what was happening. She contacted Bangor Cathedral who knew nothing about the event. However, in the meantime, my wife rang Bev in Greece and said I was going to meet Gary. Bev told her to ring Gary's mum who told her that he was having trouble with his cycle and would not make it on Monday as planned. So the plan now is to be at Bangor Cathedral on Wednesday to greet Gary and transport him plus the bike to our home so he is fed and has somewhere to stay overnight. On Thursday I shall take him back to Bangor Cathedral to continue his ride.

If anyone would like to support Gary and make a donation then go to this website: http://www.cathedralquest.org.uk/ where all details of the sponsored cycle ride can be found. On the website full details including a blog are there so you can see how he is doing. Please make a donation to these worthwhile charities. It will make a difference if you do this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home