Sunday, February 04, 2007

Around Anglesey



Today was a beautiful sunny day in the middle of winter. As Pauline and I drove along the A5025 from Penysarn to Holyhead every vista was incredible. We stopped at Tesco in Holyhead for some essential groceries and then drove round the edge of the town to access the country road past Holyhead Mountain towards Trearddur. Along the way there is a right turn if you want to go up towards South Stack lighthouse.

We turned up the road to South Stack and at the very top parked on the tiny car park by the gate at the top of 400 steps which lead down to the lighthouse. We got out of the car and as I turned to my left towards Ellin's Tower I noticed a speedboat dashing along the coast. The photo shows what I saw below me. I thought it might make an interesting photo so I pointed my camera at it. I had never seen a speedboat going past these cliffs before and I thought how unusual to see one in winter.

I was surprised later to see an article on local TV about this voyage which encircled Anglesey. It appears that as many other islands had a local speed record for going round a few people thought Anglesey should have one too. The speedboat captain had hoped they would make it round the island in about 1 hour 40 minutes. As they came round the headland where I encountered them they had to slow for some rough water along the north coast. They still managed to make it in 1 hour 35 minutes 10 seconds.

If anyone cares to take them on and go for a faster passage they might be interested to know that in the Menai Straits the 5mph speed limit by the bridges was lifted just for the occasion. The actual route was clockwise round the island from Beaumaris pier. I hope any interested parties will ensure they pass Penmon Point on the correct side of the lighthouse there!

1 Comments:

Blogger Ribmaster said...

Keith,
Great piece and clearly great timing to arrive there as I went past. I was skipper on the Record run and would love to receive the image shown and any others you may have taken, in full size digital.
Regards
Ian Greenwood
Peninsula Ribs Ltd

1:17 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home